Principles and Values
ESOT embraces freedom of expression during The ESOT Congress 2021 as an essential principle in the response to progressing organ transplantation and in promoting full participation during the Congress. However, ESOT is responsible for maintaining the safety of all attendees and as such, must balance the need of allowing all participants to be heard while ensuring the Congress is not disrupted.
The right to participate at an ESOT-supported Congress is fundamental to ensuring an open dialogue between all stakeholders. ESOT actively encourages debate and dialogue as key elements of participation, among all Congress participants including delegates, speakers and presenters, researchers and scientists, community representatives, patients, sponsors, and the media, governments and anyone else with interest in transplantation.
Peaceful protest is permitted as long as it does not hinder access to the congress venue or the proceedings of the congress. However, ESOT opposes the destruction of property or the use or threat of use of physical force by any individual or group of individuals during the Congress. The ability for dialogue and debate to take place is of utmost importance to ESOT and any disruption of Congress sessions or satellite meetings that contravene this will not be accepted.
To ensure the safety of all attendees, destructive or violent actions will be dealt with immediately in accordance with the laws of the ESOT Congress host country. Further, security personnel may deem it necessary to escort participants from the venue or revoke their access to the remainder of the Congress.
Should any party or individual wish to make a peaceful protest, they are asked to contact ESOT in advance of the Congress so that appropriate security measures can be put in place to ensure the safety of all attendees.
All participants attending a Congress are subject to the laws applicable in the country hosting the event. By attending the ESOT Congress, participants also agree to adhere to these Principles and Values of Congress Participation.
The Congress will provide support and space for meaningful participation, including community involvement, to enable a broad spectrum of viewpoints.
This is a form of participation supported at the Congress. Safety of all attendees is of utmost importance to ESOT. Any action that involves the use or threat of physical force or the destruction of property will not be tolerated and may contravene the laws of the hosting country, resulting in the immediate removal from the Congress.
These Principles are intended to guide the Congress organisers’ response to actual disruptions that prevent participation. ESOT encourages dialogue among and with participants prior to action that may result in disruption of participation. Advice and assistance in facilitating dialogue and resolution, and in preventing or de-escalating a disruption will be available.
The Congress reserves the right to withdraw the name badge, and therefore deny access, to participants who do not adhere to these Principles. Additional information and the full statement will be available at the on-site registration counter.
Procedures involving Disruptions within Sessions and Satellite Meetings, the Exhibition Hall and Congress Centre
- Any individual or group of individuals wishing to make a peaceful protest is asked to contact the ESOT Congress Manager in advance. Failure to do so may result in removal of the person or persons involved from the venue and/or revocation of their conference accreditation for the remainder of the ESOT Congress. It is recommended that all exhibitors designate an Engagement Representative for engaging in dialogue with peaceful protestors prior to any situation arising.
- Application of the Law: The Congress participants are subject to the laws applicable in the host country. Physical force or threats of physical force or destruction of property by Congress participants will be dealt with in accordance with the laws of the country. In addition, the response may include the escorting of participants from the Congress venue.
- Withdrawal of Accreditation: In the event of disruption or action that does not respect these Principles, ESOT reserves the right to withdraw a participant’s accreditation and name badge and suspend or cancel the participant’s access to the Congress.
- Accreditation Appeal: If an ESOT participant feels that they have been wrongfully deprived of their accreditation, the participant will have 24 hours to appeal to the Congress organisers for reinstatement of the accreditation. Appeals will be considered on a case-by-case basis by a panel of 3 members drawn from the ESOT Executive Committee and staff, as appropriate. All complaints must be made in writing to the Congress Manager and state fully the reasons for the appeal. The decision of the panel will be final.
- Public statement: In the event that property is destroyed or physical force is used or threatened by a participant, the Congress organisers may issue a statement concerning the action within the framework of the Principles and Values of Congress Participation.
Other Procedures and Measures for Supporting Participation
Should a party or individual wish to raise a point, the Congress will offer or provide other measures to support or facilitate meaningful participation.
The Congress programme will include features in Congress sessions and activities to provide opportunities for various viewpoints to be expressed and for dissenting voices to be heard, as key elements of the conference organisers’ commitment to enhance participation and dialogue. Chairs and speakers will be briefed in advance on this point.
Prior Dialogue and Consultation
ESOT encourages dialogue among and with participants prior to the Congress and prior to any action that is contemplated and that might result in disruption of participation. ESOT will consult with activist and advocacy organisations, sponsors and local partners, and other participants on policies and measures to increase and facilitate participation.
Networking and Meeting Space
All accredited participants to the ESOT Congress are encouraged to meet on the congress premises to facilitate and support dialogue, discussion and networking. Requests for a specific meeting space, if needed, will be considered subject to availability of rooms at the venue.
ESOT will provide support for dialogue and participation during the Congress with the help of the ESOT Secretary General (SG). The ESOT Secretary General will provide advice and assistance in advance of, and during, the Congress. THE SG will consult with activist organisations and individuals, as well as community co-organisers and programme committee members, to identify those Congress sessions that are most likely to generate or attract peaceful protest and dissent to ensure appropriate plans are in place to minimise disruption while enabling all voices/perspectives to be heard.
Responding to a peaceful protest
Any individuals, parties or companies who wish to give a response to a peaceful protest should contact ESOT to arrange an appropriate time for this to take place.
Security Advisory Committee
ESOT will also convene a Security Advisory Committee which will serve as a forum for Congress sponsors, exhibitors, co-organisers and activists to share information and views and provide advice on the Congress security policy and related matters, in advance of, and during, the Congress.
ESOT Secretary General