Performed more than 3500 surgical procedures in transplantation, general, thoracic, endocrine and emergency surgery and holds a large experience in laparoscopic and thoracoscopic surgery.
Main field of surgical activity: adult and pediatric liver transplantation; surgical treatment of liver, bile duct and pancreas tumor; laparoscopic and robotic liver, pancreas and bile duct surgery; surgical treatment of portal hypertension and short gut syndrome in children.
Author of more than 250 publications on international and national journals, such as: American Journal of Transplantation, Transplantation, Liver Transplantation, Transplantation Proceedings, International Journal of Artificial Organs, Intensive Care Medicine, The Italian Journal of Gastroenterology, Hepatograstroenterology.
Citation metrics from Web of Science
• Articles with citation: 246
• Sum of times cited: 1511
• Average citations per article: 6.14
• H-index: 21
Membership in Scientific and Professional Societies
European Society Organ Transplantation, American Society of Transplant Surgeon, International Liver Transplantation Society, International Pediatric Transplant Association, European Society of Artificial Organs,European Society for Surgical Research, Academic Departments of Surgery in Europe, European Society of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition, Società Italiana di Trapianti d’Organo, Società Italiana di Nutrizione Parenterale ed Enterale.
Liver Transplantation, Clinical Transplantation, American Journal of Transplantation, Transplant International, Clinical Anatomy, Indian Pediatrics, European Journal of Internal Medicine, Pediatric Reports, Pediatrics, Padiatric Transplantation, Mount Sinai Journal of Medicine, Clinical Research in Hepatology and Gastroenterology, Digestive and Liver Disease, Hepatobiliary & Pancreatic Disease International, Annals of Transplantation, BioMed Research International, Journal of Critical Care, Journal of Investigative Surgery, Oncotarget.
Main clinical interests
– Pediatric liver and kidney transplantation
– Living donor liver and kidney transplantation
– Hepato-biliary-pancreatic surgery, with special interest in the development of new technologies for hepatic
resection: ex-vivo surgery, liver autotransplantation
– Laparoscopic and robotic surgery in hepatobiliopancreatic and transplantation surgery
– Partial liver transplantation
– Infections after solid organ transplantation
Main research interests
– New immunosuppressive protocol for pediatric and adult liver transplantation
– Ex-vivo solid organ perfusion in transplantation
– Monitoring, prophylaxis and innovative therapies of EBV infection after solid organ transplantation
– Histopatology, immunogenetics and therapy of “de novo” autoimmunity after solid organ transplantation
– Surgical techniques and allocation systems of livers from cadaver organ donors to increase grafts availability
– Genetics and cholestasis
– Use of biodegradable materials in surgery
– Use of regenerative medicine in the treatment of acute and chronic organ failure